Please carefully review the selection criteria below (general and specific).
- The nominee must be recognized as a Burlington Citizen as defined as: born in the City of Burlington; raised or spent their formative years in the City; achieved their athletic prominence in the City.
- Current Members of the Burlington Awards Selection Committee; the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame Committee; and the Burlington Sport Alliance Board of Directors are not eligible.
- There will not necessarily be an Award winner in each category, every year.
- A maximum of five (5) Hall of Fame inductions will be made annually
- A nominee may be in more than one Hall of Fame
- An individual may be considered for induction in more than one category provided he/she meets the criteria.
- There is no age factor.
- There is no limit to the number of nominees each year.
- A nominee whose name is not put forward for induction will automatically be considered in the following years up to a maximum of three (3) years.
- The Hall of Fame Committee reserves the right to reject nominations based on moral, criminal or ethical grounds.
- Candidate shall have demonstrated outstanding achievement as an athlete in their specific field, or displayed above average proficiency in a variety of sports over a period of time.
- Candidate shall have brought honour and fostered pride in the City through their exceptional athletic achievements.
- An athlete can be considered for induction into the Hall of Fame three (3) years after retirement from competition. “Masters Competition” is not a limiting factor.
- Candidate will have demonstrated consistently outstanding commitment and leadership to athletics or sports as officials, executives, trainers, coaches, administrators, media, teachers or supporters over an extended period of time.
- Candidate shall have brought honour and demonstrated pride in the City through his/her exceptional leadership, commitment or achievements.
How to Submit a Nomination
To nominate an Athlete or Builder for induction into the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame, please complete the attached fillable form. A member of our committee will follow up and confirm receipt.
A maximum of 5 nominees are selected to be inducted into the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame annually.
- Nominations close for the year on December 31st. Commencing January 1st, no further nominations are accepted for the current year, however, late nominations will be held for the following year.
- BSHOF Executive members evaluate nomination packages The BSHOF Executive members evaluate each nomination as they are received, to ensure it meets general and specific criteria to be considered for Induction.
- Eligible nomination packages are distributed to Selection Committee for review
- **Selection Committee is comprised of 5 BSHOF executive members & 6 respected members of the community
- In March, the Selection Committee meets to submit their voting ballot
- Each selection member may enter the names of 5 nominees, in rank order from first to fifth. It is acceptable to enter fewer than five. The candidates with the highest number of votes are selected to be inducted into the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame for the current year.
- Nominees not selected for the current year, will be retained for consideration for a period of 3 years, at which point the nominator may choose to update the nomination for resubmission
- Once nominators have been notified their nominee has been selected, the Executive Committee Chair publicly announces the new inductees
- Induction Reception
- Each newly-inducted member of the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame are individually honoured at the Induction Reception and are presented with a keep sake award. Their photo and biography are displayed at the Burlington Sports Hall of Fame site.
All inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Burlington Sports Hall of Fame is located at:
414 Locust St., Burlington ON L7S 1T7